Dear SCVUHS Students, Parents, Guardians, and District Residents:
Welcome to the 2014-2015 school year. I am honored to have been selected as the new superintendent of Santa Cruz Valley Union High School District and look forward to working with the staff to provide a high quality education for each student based on the belief that all students can learn. Our goal is to make SCVUHS better each year than it was the prior year and to continue to grow toward excellence. I am proud to be a member of the "Dust Devil" staff.
In 2010 our voters passed a bond proposal for Santa Cruz Valley Union High School. The district worked diligently to complete all the approved bond projects. We have received many compliments on the many improvements throughout our campus from parents, alumni, and community members. Santa Cruz students enjoy the products of your generosity daily.
In 2010 voters also passed a 15% M&O override for our district. These funds are being used to support the following:
- Funding for campus security to maintain a safe and orderly school environment.
- Maintaining elective classes such as band, music, art, and career and technical education (CTE).
- Maintaining competitive teacher salaries and benefits.
- Attracting and retaining highly qualified teachers.
- Maintaining smaller class sizes to aid in meeting the needs of all students.
- Increasing athletic funding for current teams to provide appropriate uniforms, equipment, fields, and coaches salaries.
Thank you for your 2010 support for our bond and M&O override.
However, override funding is only approved for seven years at a time. In year six and year seven the funding decreases by one-third each year if a continuation is not approved. We are now in year five of our 15% M&O override. Without voter approval to continue our existing override, our school is in danger of losing the programs and services mentioned above.
Let's all work together to make this a wonderful year for the students that we serve.
Orlenda F. Roberts